Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The joys of the unprofessional "professional"

OK Casey, you win ;) Here is my first contribution...

About 2 1/2 weeks ago, I went to Hurt Ink, a tattoo shop here in town, and gave an artist a $100 deposit to draw up my tattoo. I have heard numerous complaints about how awful the owners of this business are, but I was SO impressed by this tattoo artist's talent, that I went against my better judgement and tried to give them my business. After 2 weeks of not hearing anything back from her, I decided to call the shop, only to find out that my tattoo artist quit.
Fan-EFFING-tastic.
These things happen, I knew she was planning to move back to New Orleans in August, I just thought I would have my tattoo done before then. I called twice, spoke with two different employees who assured me one of the owners would get back to me by the end of the day, but I never received a call.
Yesterday, I called again, this time I was able to speak to one of the owners, I explained my situation, and simply asked when I could come up there to speak with them about it. I explained I work full time and have children and cannot just "swing by" the opposite side of town, hoping to catch one of them. I was honestly calm and nice and just trying to resolve the issue. He was INCREDIBLY rude and ugly to me, he told me "he doesn't WORK there, he just OWNS it". So I asked if he could just have one of his managers handle it for me.
He told me not to call "after hours" (* I called at 4pm, there office hours are 3-10pm) and told me to be an "ADULT" and call between 9am-3pm to talk to his wife. He proceeded to bitch me out, cuss at me, call me a bunch of F***ed up names, and hung up on me.
So basically, I just have to play chase with these assholes because they will not call me back and let me know when they will be there, and they will not have one of their employees take care of it.
If you ever want a tattoo, please do not go to them, all of the remaining artist are mediocre at best, and the owners are awful. Also, if you end up in a conversation about tattoos...please tell everyone this story. The world needs to know...haha.

10 comments:

  1. im glad you posted about this. i'll definitely not go there when i get my tattoos done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to report them to the Better Business Bureau. It seems like a hassle, but its the only way to start a history about this place. You don't have to call or anything. You can just submit a complaint online. I would mention that you haven't been able to get your deposit back. They may be able to mediate with the owners so you can get the money.

    I just heard from a lot of people that you need to go to a bigger city to get a good tattoo. I've heard Blue Bonnet Tattoos are pretty terrible too. Plus they're white supremacist. I remember one time Christina, Carey and I went to Voodoo Tattoo; those people were super rude as well. Its like if you don't have the look of someone that gets a tattoo, they act like total asses. That artist Little Mike is a super nice guy, but I wasn't very impressed by his tattoos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH wow, that's an awesome business practice. Why do people suck>>? Hurt Ink=kiss my ass - noted. My sympathies for your misfortune, Camille. I want a tattoo...Call me crazy but something to do with Halo. Maybe one day we can all go on a road trip. Quick; someone start a thread for places we want visit that have awesome tattoo shops....and go!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd bet Austin would have good artist, but very expensive. You know that have to since that place is full of artsy fartsy uber liberal dirty smelly hippies.

    I thought about getting a tattoo, but I don't like how tattoo culture has become homogenized with common society. Its like people get tattoos to purposely look different, but in reality they're just looking like everyone else. I know its not a popular opinion amongst you guys. Let me relate a story as to why I won't get a tattoo:

    Several years ago, I went to Little Mike's shop with Cody who was looking to get a tat. As we were waiting, there was a Mom, young daughter and grandmother waiting their turn so the girl could get a tattoo. And these were not the type of people you think. They were conservative white suburbanites. They wanted the girl to get the same fucking gay butterfly on her ankle like the others. It was like her right of passage. Fucking Pathetic!

    If I ever broke down and got one, I'd get a small monochrome sugar skull on the back of my neck where my neck and back meets. I'd probably never do this though since Chach doesn't care for tattoos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I am going to Bullet Proof, Alex and Aubrey Trufant are very nice, professional guys. They are the ones that host the Tattoo Convention here in town, they have a more traditional style but Alex is very good at Asian art. I looked in Austin but honestly I didnt find any artist who was more talented than the girl I chose, or even the Trufant brothers for that matter.
    I am definitely going to file a complaint with the BBB. I am also going to make sure anytime any one Googles them the first things that pop up are my complaints on yelp, BBB, and other peoples complaints about them also.
    I completely agree with you about the popularity of tattoos Casey. No one is able to see my tattoos unless I show them. The same way I work in a doctors office and my boss has no idea my ears are stretched to a 0 gauge. I do it because I like it, people are so quick to place judgement,and it is usually based on looks. I kind of appreciate that only the people who know me best, know about my tattoos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive heard good things about Little Mike. Casey--Tara Hart has a lot of work done by him. I like that he does old school really well since that is what i like best. I do agree that tattoos are becoming more mainstream, but i still really like ppl with tattoos. the more the better. plus its easy to tell by the tats they have if they are really into tattooing as an art form or just because it is popular nowadays. as far as im concerned, the more tattoos the better. i will eventually have sleeves a chest piece and my hands done. plus a couple of piercings too. but i also dont have a desk job to worry about looking conventionally appropriate for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Little Mike & Big Mike are definitely awesome. Tri-Star Tattoo was the name of their original shop. They were the only shop in town that was certified to give the military tattoos.

    ReplyDelete