Wednesday, April 11, 2012

APPALLED

I've been processing work orders turned in by employees and I'm appalled by the number of people who cannot read or write correctly. I also received an application this morning that is just ridiculous. There is absolutely no excuse for anyone part of my generation or younger to not be well written. Now there may be some of you that are practically fly to the rescue of these uneducated individuals. Nowadays schools make extreme efforts and concessions to get students the help they need. If you find yourself a senior in high school and have reading/writing level of a 5th grader it is YOUR FAULT. It doesn't take an enormous amount of money or effort to learn to read. Its not like we're in the late 1800's and people don't have access to education. Reading material overflows from every direction. Literacy advocacy groups are everywhere. Yes, I am a person who measures people's worth by their level of intelligence and effort. UGH!

If you're filling out an application; don't fill it out like you're in special ed.

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to admit that I'm not perfect when it comes to sentence structure and spelling. I do, however, try to improve my grammar skills. After I read a sentence or paragraph, I will sometimes ask myself why a sentence is written the way it is, or how I would have written that sentence...etc.

    There are two reasons why America’s literacy is in shambles:

    1). –Technology: Technology has made us lax or complacent with mistakes we make because of auto fill and/or auto correct. It has become the norm to abbreviate every word in the English language....bleh.

    2). –Drive: People do not have the drive to better themselves anymore. If I had the money, I would pay a very hot, seductive, bondage-wearing woman to shadow me everyday and correct any grammatical mistake I made by calling me a dirty boy, while slapping me across the face....ROFL…..Whatever…..Each to his own!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will say that i am generally really good about spelling, grammar and punctuation. However, when I am typing I do not like punctuating or capitalizing. It gets on my nerves and most of the time I just don't do it. I can get away with it though because I'm not representing a company, just myself and I don't care if other people don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The type of mistakes and spelling I'm talking about is pretty bad. I mean very very simple words that are horrendously spelled. Most people make minor spelling and grammatical mistakes. Some of these on the most basic sentence structuring. We need to raise the bar for new adults coming into the workforce. I'm talking about getting a college degree. We just expect high school graduates to meet a standard. Like truly hold them accountable.

    ReplyDelete